Sometimes referred to as ADDIE (Analysis, Design, Development, Implement, Evaluate) or SAT (System Approach to Training). The steps are:
1.Analyze the performance environment in order to understand it and then describe the goals needed in order to correct any performance deficiencies (identify training requirements).
2.Design a process to achieve your goals, that is correct the performance deficiencies
3.Develop your initial discoveries and process into a product that will assist the learners into becoming performers (in training, this product is often called courseware)
4.Implement by delivering the courseware to the learners
5. Evaluate the performers, courseware, and audit-trail throughout the four phases and in the working environment to ensure it is achieving the desired results
- Determine business outcome or linkage
- Analyze system (department, job, etc.) to gain an understanding of it.
- Compile a task inventory of all tasks associated with each job (if needed).
- Select tasks that people need to learn to become performers (needs analysis).
- Build performance measures for the tasks to be learned.
- Choose instructional setting for the tasks to be learned, e.g. classroom, on-the-job, self study, blended, etc.
- Estimate cost and compare to benefits gained.
- Develop the learning objectives, to include both terminal and enabling objectives.
- Identify and list the learning steps required to perform the task.
- Develop performance tests to show mastery of the tasks.
- List the entry behaviors that the learner must demonstrate prior to entering the learning program.
- Sequence and structure the learning objectives.
- List activities that will help the students learn the task.
- Select the delivery methods (media).
- Review existing material so that you do not reinvent the wheel.
- Develop the instructional courseware.
- Synthesize the courseware into a viable learning program.
- Validate the instruction to ensure it accomplishes all goals and objectives.
- Create a management plan for conducting the training.
- Conduct the training
- Review and evaluate each phase (analyze, design, develop, implement) to ensure it is accomplishing what it is supposed to.
- Perform external evaluations, e.g. observe that the tasks that were trained can actually be performed by the learners in their working environment.
- Revise training system to make it better and to meet future challenges.